How do I grade Tests & Quizzes submissions by question?
Most question types in Tests & Quizzes are automatically graded by the system. However, you will need to manually score short answer/essay questions, file uploads, and audio recordings. You may also adjust the auto-graded scores, add comments, or give partial credit.
For more information on making grade adjustments to overall scores, including assigning scores to students with no submission, or grading by student, see the following articles:
- How do I grade Tests & Quizzes?
- How do I give same score (e.g., 0) to all students with no submission to an assessment?
- How do I grade Tests & Quizzes submissions by student?
- How do I download submissions to File Upload questions?
- How do I export a spreadsheet with assessment scores and student responses?
Go to Tests & Quizzes.
Select the Tests & Quizzes tool from the Tool Menu of your site.
Select the Published Copies tab.
Select the Published Copies tab to view the assessments that have been released to students in your site.
Go to the assessment submissions.
Select Scores from the Action drop-down menu for the assessment.
Alternatively, you may select the number of student submissions in the Submitted column to view the submissions.
Select the Questions tab.
Select the question.
From the list of question numbers, select the question to grade. Each question is listed as the letter Q with the question number (e.g. Q1, Q2).
Enter grades and/or comments.
- In the Score column, enter the points each student received for the question.
- If desired, you can use the Comments for Student column to provide feedback on their answer.
- You also have the option of attaching file(s) with feedback. To upload a file, select Add Attachments.
- If you are grading a file upload question, you can download all students' submissions at once to grade them.
- For students to see any comments or attachments you add, Grader's Comments AND Student Response will need to be selected in the Feedback Settings.
- Comments cannot be added within the Tests & Quizzes tool for students with no submission and they do not have access to feedback for assessments they did not submit. To provide comments to a student with no submission, you might upload a file with comments to their folder in File Drop. To print an answer key to an assessment to provide to students who did not submit, see How do I print an assessment (i.e. test or quiz)?
- Once a grade has been saved for a student in Tests & Quizzes, you cannot delete the grade to remove it from the student's course grade in the Gradebook. If you inadvertently assign a score to a student who should not have received one for an assessment, and the assessment score is being sent to the Gradebook, you will need to remove the assessment score from the student's final grade using a Grade Exclusion in the Gradebook.
Save your changes.
Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Update to save your changes.