How do I add an announcement?
Go to the Announcements tool.
Select the Announcements tool from the Tool Menu of your site.
Title your announcement and add content.
- Give your announcement a title.
- Enter the content of your announcement into the announcement Body using the Rich-Text Editor. You may use the formatting options in the editor to modify the font size or color, add images or links, or embed other content.
Under Access, select who can view the announcement.
By default, all members of the site see the announcement.
Making the announcement publicly viewable means that you can send a link to the announcement to people who are not members of the site, including those who do not have accounts on UVACollab, and the announcement will be viewable by them.
You can also limit the announcement to specific group(s) or roster(s) in the site.
Display an announcement to group(s). (Optional)
- If you have created groups in your site, the option to Display this announcement to selected groups only is shown.
- Check the boxes next to the group(s) to whom you want to give the announcement.
Note: Only people in the selected groups and site owners/administrators will see this announcement. If you send email notification for the announcement, students (in a course site) or members (in a collaboration site) who are not in those groups will not receive the email notification.
Select when the announcement will be displayed.
By default, the announcement is displayed immediately upon posting. You can also choose to hide it (saving as a draft until you are ready to post it), or you may specify dates when the announcement will be available.
Select availability dates. (Optional)
To display the announcement during a specific time frame:
- Select Specify Dates.
- Check the box to indicate the Beginning and/or Ending date.
- Enter the date(s) into the field(s) provided. You may type a correctly-formatted date and time into the appropriate field or use the date-picker (calendar window) to select a date and time. If you enter a date manually, it will need to be in the following format: month/day/year hours:minutes am or pm. For example, to make an announcement visible on May 7, 2018 at 5:00 PM, you would enter 05/07/2018 05:00 pm into the Beginning Date field. Alternatively, follow the steps below to use the calendar to insert the date and time.
Note: If you send email notification for an announcement with a Beginning Date in the future, the email will not be sent until the specified date.
Use the calendar to insert the date and time.
- You can choose a date by clicking on it in the calendar.
- Select a time using the Hour and Minute sliders.
- Alternatively, you can choose the current date and time by clicking Now.
- When your date is selected, select Done.
Add attachments. (Optional)
Select the Add Attachments button to browse for and select file(s) to attach.
Select the file.
- If the file is not already in the Resources tool in the site, select Browse to locate the file on your computer.
- Or, if the file is in your site's Resources, select Attach a copy to the right of the file.
- Select Continue to attach the file.
Notify participants of announcement by email. (Optional)
By default, no email notification is sent. You may also select:
- High - All participants to send an email to everyone in the site.
- Low - Not received by those who have opted out to send to everyone except people who have intentionally changed their settings so that they do not receive low priority messages.
Note: If you have elected to make the announcement available to specific group(s), the available option for high priority notifications will be High - All group members. Only the members of the group(s) and site administrators will receive the email notification. Students (in a course site) or members (in a collaboration site) who are not in those groups will not receive the email notification.
Select Post Announcement.
At the bottom of the page, select Post Announcement.