How do I require completion of an item on a page in Lessons?
Most of the items that can be added to a page in Lessons can be made "required"—meaning that students must open the item (if it is a resource) or complete it (if the item is a forum posting, quiz, assignment, question, comment or student page). Further, the Lessons tool allows instructors to require students to complete one item in the list before allowing access to another item in the list. For information on how to make items unavailable until previous items have been completed, see How do I ensure that lesson items are completed in a particular order?
Lessons tool items that can be required:
- Add Content Links items (requires student to open resource or link)
- Add Subpage items (requires student to complete all required items on the subpage)
- Link to an assignment items (requires student to submit the assignment)
- Link to a test or quiz items (requires student to submit the quiz and/or achieve a minimum grade on the quiz)
- Link to a forum or topic items (requires student to create a post on a selected forum topic)
- Add Question items (requires student to submit an answer to the question)
- Add Comments Tool items (requires student to add a comment)
- Add Student Content (requires student to add a new student page)
- Add External Tool items (requires student to open the link)
Lessons tool items that can be set as unavailable until required items above it in the list are completed:
- Add Text items
- Embed content on page items
- Add Content Links items
- Add Subpage items
- Link to an assignment items
- Link to a test or quiz items
- Link to a forum or topic items
- Add Question items
- Add Comments Tool items
- Add Student Content items
- Add External Tool items
Go to Lessons.
Select the Title of the page (e.g., Lessons, Activities, Week: 1) from the tool menu in your site.
Locate the item you want to require on the page. Select the pencil and paper (Edit) icon to the right of the item title.
Set the requirement setting.
- To require completion of an item before students proceed to the next item on the page, select Require This Item.
- Select Update Item to save changes.
View the required item.
The asterisk to the left of the item title indicates that the item is required.