What is the SensusAccess tool?
SensusAccess is a self-service document conversion tool that is valuable for anyone who needs quick access to information in multiple formats. For example, someone who is pressed for time can convert a lengthy Word document from Resources to an MP3 and play it while driving or walking, or when allergies kick up and eyes tire easily. Individuals with diverse needs, particularly those with print disabilities, may convert a file to make it more accessible to them.
Select a file from a list of resources available to you, and it will be automatically converted into an alternative format for you to download. SensusAccess can be used to convert text into mobile-friendly ebooks, audio files, or digital Braille for the visually impaired. It can also render PDFs, PowerPoint slides, and documents with complex graphs or equations into less challenging formats.
Note: For instructions to add this or any other tool to your site, see How do I add a tool to my site?
Tip: Add SensusAccess to your course site to accommodate students with diverse needs.
- Honors the permissions restrictions in Resources (Site participants cannot use the tool to access any files that are hidden or located in hidden folders).
- Presents each site participant with a drop-down list of Resources files that have been made visible to them.
- Supports a variety of languages. It can convert documents written in the main European languages, American English, Latin American Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese, Korean, Japanese, and more.
- Converts many types of files, including images of text, Word documents, PDFs, and Powerpoint slides. For details, see the SensusAccess Service Desription page (opens new window).
Benefits of SensusAccess:
- Anyone can use SensusAccess to obtain resources in more usable formats.
- Content creators, such as instructors, can use SensusAccess as an aid to produce accessible documents. SensusAccess also provides an e-learning course for creating accessible content (opens new window) and resources with guidelines and best practices (opens new window).