How do I record a PowerPoint presentation with Personal Capture?
You may use Personal Capture with the Kaltura Capture software to record and upload a PowerPoint presentation. Slides are automatically indexed so anyone viewing the recording can use the slide index to skip to the point in the presentation where the slide was discussed.
Go to Home.
When you first log into UVACollab, you are placed in your Home site. If you are viewing another UVACollab site, select the Home tab in the favorites bar at the top of the screen, or in your My Sites list, to access it.
Select My Media.
Select My Media from the tool menu in your Home site.
Launch Kaltura Capture.
The Kaltura window will display a message about The Kaltura Capture Desktop Recorder. The Kaltura Capture program needs to be downloaded and installed on the computer you are using.
If Kaltura Capture is already installed on your computer, it will either open automatically, or you will be prompted to open it. If prompted, select Open Kaltura Capture.
Select recording inputs (Optional).
By default, the Kaltura Capture software records from three input sources, if they are all available:
- Your computer screen, capturing your activity on the screen,
- A webcam or other video camera,
- Your microphone, capturing your audio.
Note: You can select the Turn off icon for a source (screen, webcam, or microphone) to turn it off. A gray icon with a slash through it will indicate that the recording device is disabled. However, it is recommended to leave your webcam on during a presentation because it makes the presentation more engaging.
Preview, or change recording sources.
To preview or change any of these recording sources:
- To display a preview of the video that will be recorded, select the name of the source, screen or camera. If you have multiple screens or cameras connected to your computer, a drop-down menu will also be available underneath the preview to change the recording source.
- Select audio to open a drop-down list of audio recording sources. For example, you might select a headset to record audio instead of a laptop's built-in microphone.
Important: If you are using multiple monitors, be sure that the monitor you will be using to present the PowerPoint is selected for the Screen.
On your computer, open Microsoft PowerPoint.
Start recording in Kaltura Capture.
When you are ready to record, select the Start Recording button. The Start Recording button looks like a large, red circle.
Start the slide show in PowerPoint.
In PowerPoint, start your slide show From Beginning.
Note: You need to enter presenter mode in PowerPoint for your slides to be indexed.
When you are done recording your presentation:
- Select the Stop (white square) button.
- Select Yes, Stop it to confirm.
Save and upload your recording.
The Kaltura Capture window will display a thumbnail image from your new recording. If you recorded your webcam and computer screen, an image of a slide will display on top, and an image from your webcam underneath it.
- By default, the recording's Title will be Kaltura capture recording with the date when it was recorded. It is recommended that you edit the Title to make your video easy to find.
- You can add an optional Description or Tags for searching.
- Select Save & Upload to upload the file to My Media.
Note: Uploading the file from Kaltura Capture will not make it available in a course site automatically. Because the file is saved in your personal My Media, you will need to take additional steps to make it available to others after it is uploaded.
Wait for the upload to complete.
- A progress bar in the Kaltura Capture window will indicate that the file is being uploaded.
- Once the file is uploaded, the progress bar will disappear. A link to the video and an option to Delete it will display.
Return to My Media.
Go back to the internet browser window where UVACollab was open. Near the top of the window that displays the information about the Desktop Recorder, select the My Media link to go back to the main page of My Media.
Wait for the recording to process.
Your newly uploaded video will take time to process. The video thumbnail will show an icon of cogs while it is processing, and if you access the page of the newly uploaded file before it is ready, a Media is being processed message will appear.
View your recording.
When your video has been fully processed, it will be available in My Media, and you can select it to view it.
Use the video player to navigate.
When viewing your presentation:
- Select the Navigation (three horizontal lines) button to open the slide index.
- After opening the slide index, you may skip to a slide in the presentation in either of the following ways:
- Enter text in the Search box at the top to find specific terms in the slides, then select the text in the list that displays to jump to the corresponding slide.
- Navigate to a slide by scrolling up and down with your mouse or using the up and down arrows on your keyboard, and select it by clicking on the slide or pressing Enter on your keyboard.
- By default, if your webcam was recorded as well as your computer screen, the slides appear in the background, larger, and your webcam image displays in a smaller window in the lower right corner. Select the Toggle View (two arrows) button to switch which recording displays in the larger and smaller window.
- Select the Picture in Picture (window) button to open options to display the webcam and slide images in Single View, hiding what is shown in the smaller window, or Side by Side.
Note: If only your computer screen was recorded, the Toggle View and Picture in Picture options will not display.
Tip: Before publishing your presentation, it is recommended that you follow the steps in How do I automatically generate and edit captions in My Media? to caption your video for accessibility. Captions will also allow viewers to search the audio in your recording.
Publish your presentation.
Don't forget to follow the steps in How do I publish video or audio files in Media Gallery? to make your recording available to others!