How do I add/edit a table in the Rich-Text Editor?
You can create a table in the Rich-Text Editor by specifying the number of rows and columns you want, or you can add a template table, such as the Activities Grid template, in the Rich-Text Editor. For information on adding a template, see How do I add a Content Template in the Rich-Text Editor?
Position the cursor.
Position your cursor in the editor where you want the table to display.
Click Table icon.
The Table icon is a picture of a table with two rows and three columns.
Set the number of Rows, Columns and any other table properties needed.
- In the Table Properties dialog box, enter the number of rows and columns you would like in the table into the Rows and Columns text boxes.
- To specify the width and height of your table, enter a table Width and/or Height in the corresponding text boxes. For accessibility, it is recommended to enter dimensions in percentages, e.g. 100%. For more information, see How can I make tables more accessible?
- Select where you would like to add table Headers from the corresponding drop-down menu (First Row, First Column, or Both). Headers are important to make your table accessible. For more information on creating table headers, see How can I make tables more accessible?
- You can also specify Cell spacing and Cell padding in pixels. Cell spacing and padding affect the amount of white space surrounding the text you enter into table cells.
- Enter a Border size if you would like borders on your table cells.
- Choose the Alignment for your table (Left, Right, or Center).
- Enter a Caption describing your table into the text box provided. Table Captions also help to make tables more accessible for users of assistive technologies such as screen readers. For more information on creating table captions and summaries, see How can I make tables more accessible?
- When you have entered all the information for your table, click OK to confirm its creation.
View and enter text in the table.
The newly created table is added to the editor. Enter text in it.
Note: The table's Caption displays at the top of the table.
Paste content in a table.
To Paste content you have saved in your clipboard into a table, right-click (or CTRL-click on a Mac) in the table cell where you would like to paste the content, and select Paste from the drop-down menu.
Edit a table.
Right-click (or CTRL-click on a Mac) on the table to display the Edit Table drop-down menu.
Edit all Table Properties.
Select Table Properties from the drop-down list.
Adjust the Table Properties, click OK.
You can edit the Table Properties as described in the step above on how to Set the number of Rows, Columns and any other table properties needed.
Note: You will no longer be able to add or delete Rows or Columns from the table in this dialog box. The options to enter the number of table Rows and Columns are displayed as grayed out and cannot be selected. To add or delete table Rows or Columns, see the step below on how to Edit table cell(s).
To edit table cells, add or delete rows or columns, select cells and open the menu.
- Select the cells you want to edit by clicking in one and dragging over the others with your mouse.
- Right-click (or CTRL-click on a Mac) on the table to open the Edit Table drop-down menu.
Note: If you only want to modify one table cell, position your cursor in the cell and right-click (or CTRL-click on a Mac) to open the menu.
Edit table cell(s).
To edit table cells, select Cell from the drop-down menu and choose the action you would like to take. You can Insert Cell Before or After selected cells, Delete Cells, or Merge Cells. If you select only one cell, depending on its position in the table, you may also have options to Merge Right, Merge Down, Split Cell Horizontally, and/or Split Cell Vertically.
Add or delete table row(s).
To add or delete table rows, select Row from the drop-down menu and choose the action you would like to take. You can Insert Row Before the selected cell(s), Insert Row After your selection, or Delete Rows to delete the row(s) containing the selected cell(s).
Note: Selecting a cell from each table row and choosing Delete Rows will delete the whole table.
Add or delete table column(s).
To add or delete table columns, select Column from the drop-down menu and choose the action you would like to take. You can Insert Column Before the selected cell(s), Insert Column After your selection, or Delete Columns to delete the column(s) containing the selected cell(s).
Note: Selecting a cell from each table column and choosing Delete Columns will delete the whole table.
Delete a table.
To delete the entire table, right-click (or CTRL-click on a Mac) on the table and select Delete Table from the drop-down menu.