How do I read, post, or delete Chat Room messages?
By default, all site participants can read chat room messages, post in chat, and delete their own messages. Additionally, instructors in course sites and administrators in collaboration sites can delete any messages that have been posted.
Related Help Articles:
Go to Chat Room.
Select the Chat Room tool from the Tool Menu of your site.
Read Chat Room messages.
When you access the Chat Room tool, you will enter the default room (as specified by an instructor or site administrator).
- To change rooms, select Change Room, then select the room to enter.
- To hide or display the date or time messages were posted, select the appropriate option from the View drop-down list:
- Time Only,
- Date and Time,
- Date Only,
- Neither Date nor Time,
- ID Only.
- If you have permission to change how many messages you see, you can select one of the following options from the View messages from... drop-down list:
- Last 1000 messages,
- Last 10 messages,
- Past 3 days,
- Show no message history. If you choose Show no message history, you will see only messages posted after you made this selection.
- Messages appear in chronological order, with the most recent at the bottom. Messages will always identify the sender.
- To see who is presently in the room, look under Users in Chat on the right side of the screen.
Note: An instructor or site administrator can select a different number of messages or days to display, up to a maximum of 1000 messages. If the number of messages or days have been changed for a specific chat room, you may see options with numbers other than Last 10 messages or Past 3 days.
Post Chat Room messages.
- In the Enter chat message box, type your message.
- Hit Enter (on a keyboard) or select the Add message button to post the message.
- To discard a message that you have not sent yet, select Clear.
Delete a Chat Room message.
Select the trash can icon (Delete this message).
To delete a Chat Room message, select the trash can icon (Delete this message) next to the posting.
Note: If a trash can icon (Delete this message) is not available for a message, you do not have permission to delete it.
Confirm the deletion.
On the Deleting chat message screen, select Delete to confirm the removal of the message.