How do I create a link to a syllabus item in SIS?
By default, most syllabus items are only available to the participants in the site in which they appear. However, syllabus items in course sites may be configured to be accessible from the Class Details page in the Student Information System (SIS), allowing faculty and students to view course information without joining the course site.
In order for syllabus items to be visible in SIS, the course site in which the syllabus items appear must include a course roster. For more information on adding course rosters to sites, see How do I add a class roster?
Accessing the Syllabus tool
To access the Syllabus tool, select the Syllabus link in the Tool Menu.
Editing or creating the syllabus item
The system will display any syllabus items that have been created. By default, course sites created using a template automatically include two syllabus items: Full Syllabus and Course Description (for SIS).
To edit an existing syllabus item and change its access settings, select the Edit (pencil) icon to the right of the syllabus item.
To create a new syllabus item and set its access settings, select Add.
Update the access setting
The system will display a list of item settings. By default, the content and attachments associated with most syllabus items are restricted to site participants only. To update the access setting to create a link to the item in SIS:
- Scroll to the viewing options and select the desired viewing setting. Selecting the World Readable button will make the syllabus item's content and attachments visible to anyone via the Class Details page in the Student Information System (SIS). Selecting the UVa Only button will make the syllabus item's content visible to anyone via the Class Details page, but any attachments will not be accessible from SIS.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Add and Publish.
Verifying the link to the syllabus item in SIS
Once the access settings for the syllabus item have been updated, a link to its content and attachments will appear under Additional Links in the listing for the course in SIS.
Note: Updating the access setting for a syllabus item does not affect the contents of the Description field in the listing for the course in SIS. To update the contents of this field, contact the departmental registrar and provide them with the revised description.
Viewing the linked syllabus item via SIS
After selecting the link under Additional Links in the listing for the course in SIS, a new tab or window will open, displaying the following:
- The roster associated with the course site
- The name of the course site
- The title of the syllabus item (by default, course sites created using a template automatically include a syllabus item entitled Course Description (for SIS))
- The text and other content entered in the syllabus item
- Links to any attachments added to the syllabus item
Note: Links to attachments will not be accessible from SIS unless the World Readable access setting is selected for the syllabus item.