How do I re-use content from one site to another site?
This article summarizes the options for re-using content in sites, and provides links to individual articles which contain the steps for each option.
You can re-use content from multiple tools in a site by either:
- Creating a new site that duplicates the tools and content from an existing site: Duplicate Site,
- Or importing content from one existing site to another: Import from Site.
You can also copy specific Resources items from one site to another, or export a specific assessment from Tests & Quizzes in one site, then import it into a new site:
With the exception of Resources items, which become available to participants in the new site immediately upon import, many imported items will be added to new sites in Draft form. You'll need to edit release dates on these items and Save, Publish, or Post them to make them available to students in your new site. Depending on the tools and activities in your site, some needed updates may include the following:
- Edit draft announcements and post each announcement in the Announcements tool.
- Click on Forum Settings for each draft forum in the Forums tool to post the forum, thereby making the forums and topics available to students in the site.
- Edit draft assignments, update delivery dates, and post each assignment draft in the Assignments tool. This will make the assignments available to students in the new site.
- Change the available and due dates on assessments in the Tests & Quizzes tool and publish them.
- Optionally, you may want to edit items in your site’s Gradebook tool to release them to students, as you deem appropriate.
Import all content from specific tools or an entire site.
Duplicate a site.
Duplicating a site makes a copy of the content of your current site. Student information, submissions, and grades are NOT copied to the duplicated site.
For detailed instructions to Duplicate Site, see How do I duplicate a site?
Import content from one site to another.
If you have already created a site and want to import all instructor-created content from one or more tools in your other site(s), you can use the Import from Site option. Student information, submissions, and grades are NOT copied to the destination site.
To use Import from Site, follow the detailed instructions in the article How do I import content from one site to another?
Copy specific resources or assessments.
Copy Resources content from one site to another.
If you just want to copy a few specific items in Resources from one site to another (for example, from Home to Resources in one of your course or collaboration sites), follow the steps in How do I copy a Resources file or folder from one site to another site?
Export a test or quiz from one site and import it into another.
For instructions to export a Tests & Quizzes assessment, save it to your local computer, then import it into another site, see How do I export and import assessments?