How do I exclude a grade for a particular student?
If a student received a grade for an item for which they should not have been graded, you can use the Grade Exclusions feature to remove this grade from the student's final grade calculation.
The following is an example of a situation that would require a Grade Exclusion. A student who received extra time on a quiz accidentally submitted both the copy of the quiz released to them and the copy released to the entire class (for more information as to how this situation might arise, see the article on creating assessments with different settings for specific students). The student's final grade was affected by the erroneous quiz submission, so they would need the erroneous grade excluded.
- Gradebook Classic offers several options for automatically dropping grades from specific Gradebook categories. For more information on these options, see Enabling drop lowest and/or keep highest.
- If the item from which you want to exclude a grade was entered directly into Gradebook, you can also remove the grade from consideration by deleting it. For more information about deleting grades, see How do I enter grades and comments in Gradebook Classic?
Go to Gradebook Classic.
Select the Gradebook tool from the Tool Menu in your site.
Select the Gradebook item.
Select the Title of the Gradebook item where you would like to exclude a student's grade; in the example pictured above, we have selected the Practice Quiz.
Select the grade to exclude and save changes.
- To the right of the grade to exclude, select the Excluded from Grade? check box.
- Save the changes to the grade exclusions. The text of the button to select will differ depending on the origin of the Gradebook item:
- If your Gradebook item was added to Gradebook Classic by another tool, such as Tests & Quizzes, select Update Grade Exclusions.
- If the grades for your Gradebook item were entered directly into Gradebook Classic, select Save Changes.
View Excluded Grade.
- Under the Points or Percentage column, the excluded grade will be indicated with a strikethrough.
- If you click on the Log icon to the left of the grade, the log will indicate that the score was set to (Excluded).
Review the All Grades screen display of the dropped grade, if desired.
- Select the All Grades tab to go to the All Grades screen.
- Similar to the display of the individual Gradebook item, on All Grades, the excluded grade displays as a number with a strikethrough.