What are collaboration sites?
A collaboration site is used to support project teams, research groups, and other collaborative work. Teams, committees, and student groups may make announcements, engage in online discussions, and share resources within their collaboration sites.
You may also use a collaboration site as a repository for resources or media you make available via links within your other UVACollab sites.
The same tools you may add to course sites are available in collaboration sites.
Collaboration Site Features
Independence from Academic Terms
Under My Sites, collaboration sites are organized under the Collaborations heading. Your Home site appears at the top of the Collaborations list, followed by your collaboration sites in alphabetical order. You can filter your view of sites in Worksite Setup to display only collaboration sites.
Note: Since collaboration sites are not associated with academic terms, official course rosters from the Student Information System (SIS) cannot be added to collaboration sites. If you inadvertently created a collaboration site for a course, skip to the step below.
The roles in collaboration sites are:
- Owner: Owners have full permissions throughout the site, including the ability to publish the site and set its global access. An Owner role can read, revise, delete, and add both content and participants to a site. Although a site may contain multiple owners, it is strongly recommended to limit ownership of a site to a single participant to prevent the inadvertent deletion of the site.
- Administrator: Administrators have full permissions throughout the site, excluding the ability to delete the site. Administrators can read, revise, delete, and add both content and participants to a site.
- Member: Members can read content and add content to a site where appropriate.
- Observer: Observers have read-only access to the site and very few permissions to otherwise interact in the site.
Note: Members in collaboration sites have more permissions by default than Students in course sites. For more information, see What are Permissions and Roles?
What should I do if I accidentally created a collaboration site instead of a course site?
I just created the site, and I haven't added any content.
I created a site and started adding content.
If you have already created or uploaded content in your collaboration site:
- Follow the steps to create a course site from a previous site. At the step where you select the site to copy, choose the collaboration site that includes the content you need for your course.
- Follow the steps to delete the collaboration site.