How do I create a new course or collaboration site?
If you have the appropriate permissions to create new course or collaboration sites in UVACollab, you may get started in:
You will be taken to the same site creation workflow from all starting points.
Choose how to view the steps.
Build Your Own Collaboration Site Video
Create Course Site Using Template Video
Create a new site from Worksite Setup.
Select the Worksite Setup tool in your Home site.
Click the New button at the top of the Worksite Setup screen.
Or, create a new site starting in My Sites.
Click on My Sites in the top banner.
Click Create New Site in the My Sites menu.
Or, create a new site starting from your Account menu.
- Click on your Account name in the upper right corner of the banner to open the menu.
- Click Create New Site to launch the site creation workflow.
Select your preferred site creation option.
- Build your own site: A build-your-own site presents a workflow that lets you choose the tools and features to include in your new site.
- Create site from template: A template-based site comes with pre-selected tools to streamline the site creation workflow. Certain site templates come with pre-configured tools designed to facilitate development of a course portal, e.g., the Activities Grid and Activities Menu site templates.
Build your own site option
If using the Build your own site option, choose either collaboration site or course site, depending in which type of site you want to create.
Create site from template (default selected) option
Click the Collaboration or Course menu to expand and select from the list of available site templates.
For Course sites only.
Select an academic term.
Select one or more rosters to add to your site.
- Select one or more course rosters in the list.
- Click Continue or Continue with no roster.
Enter site information.
Enter the site title (required).
If a roster was selected, the Site Title will be pre-populated with the name of the roster. In this case, you may edit the Site Title or keep the pre-populated default title.
If no roster was selected for a course site, or if you are creating a collaboration site, enter a Site Title up to 25 characters long.
Select site language (optional).
If desired, you can change the default language for your site to any of the available languages listed. Languages in this list will vary depending upon the language pack(s) installed on your instance.
Click on the desired language to select it or leave as-is to accept the default language (English - American).
Enter a site description (optional).
The information entered into the description area will appear on the site's home page. You may use the Rich-Text Editor here to enter your description.
Enter a short description (optional).
You may also enter a short description (with a maximum of 80 characters). This short description will display in the publicly viewable list of sites.
Accept or change the site contact information.
As the site creator, your name and email address will automatically appear in the Site Contact Name and Site Contact Email fields. To change the site contact info, enter the name and email address for the site contact. (The site contact is typically the site creator, owner, or instructor.)
Click Continue to save your changes.
Select site tools (for build-your-own site option only).
Note: The tool selection screen is not presented for sites being created from a site template.
Add and/or remove tools.
- Place a check mark next to any tools that you would like to add to the site.
- Remove check marks next to any pre-selected tools that are not needed in the site.
Configure site access.
- Select to Publish the site, or Leave as Draft (i.e. unpublished). Unpublished sites are only visible to site owners, not other participants such as students.
- Choose to make site access Limited to whom I add manually, or through automatic roster updates or Allow anyone to join the site with valid login id.
- Click Continue.
Confirm site setup.
You will see a screen which displays all of the site settings for verification. If everything appears correct, click Create Site.